I removed the old petrol tank mounts. Took a number of hard hammer hits before one end came off. Both other ends needed cutting off, so the weld can’t have been that bad!
I got some angle iron (£5 for two metres) and cut this down to size with the grinder and the cutting wheel. Cut the metal oversized to allow a lip on be welded onto the chassis. This will give so much more strength and means the weight of the full tank is no longer a concern!
I still need to drill the brackets for holes and paint the new metalwork.
Really happy with the results. So much better than it was. Cost me less than a £5 too. Cha ching.